Home > Our School > Our History
Our Founder - Father Nicholas Barre (1621 - 1686)
|The CHIJ school was founded in 1662 in France by a priest called Father Nicholas Barre, particularly for poor French girls. A community called 'The Sisters of the Christian and Charitable Schools of the Holy Infant Jesus' was formed by Father Barre to help him run the school.
The Order founded then spread to Malaya and Singapore. The CHIJ Sisters first arrived in Penang in 1852. In 1854, Mother Matilde, and three Sisters of the Order arrived in Singapore and started the Infant Jesus Convent in Victoria Street.
Over the years, more schools were established by the HIJ Sisters. CHIJ Our Lady Of Good Counsel is but one of its branches of eleven schools.
1960 To Date
The Convent of Our Lady of Good Counsel, as the school was originally called, was established in 1960 in a single building block with its main school gate at Cooling Close, Serangoon Gardens. At that time the school was built to cater to the schooling needs of the daughters of families living in Serangoon Gardens as well as in the rural areas of Yio Chu Kang and Seletar Hills. It was built adjoining the Convent residence where the community of Catholic nuns lived. The first few Principals of the school were Catholic Sisters (nuns) and they lived in this residence in the school.
Soon, because of an overwhelming enrolment, an extension was added and this was completed in 1964. The school became a full school in 1967 when the primary classes graduated into secondary ones.
In 1970, the Convent of Our Lady Of Good Counsel and St. Joseph's Convent, another IJ school at Hillside Drive, changed from full school status to primary school and secondary school respectively. The secondary pupils of the school were transferred to St Joseph's Convent while the primary pupils came over to the Convent of Our Lady of Good Counsel. These two schools have remained affiliated over the years.
In mid 1980, the school was renovated and extended again and the main school gate was relocated to Burghley Drive. This extension was completed in 1988.
In 1992, the name CHIJ was prefixed to all the IJ schools in Singapore to show a common identity. The name of the school thus became CHIJ Our Lady of Good Counsel.
In June 2004, CHIJ Our Lady of Good Counsel was relocated to a holding school at 10 Ang Mo Kio St 54 to facilitate the re-building of our new school. Construction has been completed and we have begun the new academic year 2007 at our new building at 2C Burghley Drive. The school held its official opening in 2008 and celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 2010.
Under the PERI Recommendations, the school was provided with a new wing consisting of a Student Care Centre, Special Rooms & Classrooms. The new facilities will begin function in 2018.
Principals of CHIJ - OLGC
|1960 -1964||Sister Catherine Hendricks|
|1965 -1966||Sister Aidan Dempsey|
|1966 -1967||Sister Josephine Healy|
|1968 -1971||Mrs Mavis Yetts|
|1972 -1976||Sister Bernard Aw|
|1977 -1984||Miss Isabel Rodrigues|
|1985 -1996 (April)||Mrs Josephine Colaco|
|1996 - 2005||Mrs Christina Sim Sze Vui|
|2006 - 2017||Mrs Catherine Seah|
|2018 - Present||Miss Grace Tan|